In grade school, I used to hate doing goal setting at the beginning of the year. But by the time I got to college, I was outlining my goals in my planner, on my laptop, and on the chalkboard hanging next to my door. It took me a while, but I’ve finally realized how important personal goals for a woman can be, especially for a woman in her 20s.
I say better late than never! Now I appreciate how goals drive personal growth, remind you where to place your focus, and motivate you throughout the year. For all of these reasons, here’s some suggestions of goals for 20 year olds to consider before settling on their new year resolutions for 2021 and a free printable and goals worksheet to go along with it.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Personal Goals for A Woman in 2021
The year 2020 was rough to say the least. In 2020, I often got caught up in my circumstances instead of trying to make the best of the situation.
So to avoid that in 2021, I want to be a girl with goals! Personal Goals for a woman can include many different categories like personal growth in your 20s, personal goals for a spiritual woman, and new year resolution ideas for work.
We don’t know what 2021 holds, but the first personal goal that I’d recommend for all women, is to not get hung up on the past. (Philippians 3:13-14)
A new year is the perfect time to turn the page and look ahead So, whatever your female life goals are, they’re the perfect way to keep your focus on the road ahead instead of whatever you’ve left behind.
In 2021, let’s be girls with goals! But before that…
How do you set your life goals at 20?
You set your life goals at 20 with a grain of salt, a sense of humor, and an understanding that things will definitely change along the way. If you think about 2020, your idea for how the year would be changed as the year carried on.
In the same way, everyone’s twenties are full of a lot of change and transition, some planned and some unplanned. So when setting your female life goals, make them flexible.
When writing down your goals to achieve before 30, be ambitious, not knowing what the future holds, but give yourself grace if you don’t achieve them. Because you don’t know what the future holds!
What to focus on in your 20s?
With so much change and transition going on, it’s hard to know what to focus on in your 20s. As someone who is halfway through her 20s, I’d say
- Focus your twenties on four main areas:
- Finding Your Passion
- Establishing Healthy Habits
- Building a Strong Relationship with Jesus Christ
- Having Fun
One of the personal goals a woman in their twenties should have is finding their passion. What makes your heart race? What do you enjoy doing? What would you like to study? Make finding that personal passion your goal for your twenties, that you way you can spend your 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, etc. doing it!
Establishing healthy habits now will serve you well later down the road. But more on that later. 😉
Your faith in Jesus will be the cornerstone for your life, and a strong foundation for the bustling, hustling life of navigating the adulting struggle as a woman in your 20s.See Proverbs 16:9.
Lastly, having fun is important because you’re young and likely have fewer responsibilities (and mouths to feed). Life is meant to be lived, and the next day is never promised to us. A girl with goals is a girl who stops to smell the roses!
Goals for 20 Year Olds
So we know how to set personal goals as a woman: with a grain of salt and a sense of humor. We have four key areas to focus on in our 20s: passion, habits, faith, and fun. All that’s left is deciding the best goals for a woman in her twenties.
As goals for 20 year olds go, my categories are: personal growth in your 20s, spiritual goals, personal goals for work, and general goals for the future. All of these make for great new year’s resolutions for 2021, too!
Personal Growth in Your 20s
As I mentioned in my post about career advice and workplace tips for young professionals, pursuing development as a young professional is super important to becoming a senior professional. In the same way, personal growth in your 20s is about laying the groundwork for the future.
With all of the changes happening in your twenties, chances are that you’ll have plenty of opportunities for growth, but it doesn’t hurt to make personal growth an intention.
So, what are some good personal goals for 2021?
Here is a list of personal goals that any woman can customize to fit their needs or stage of life.
- Learn Something New: Is there something that you’ve always wanted to do or wished you could do like play the piano, do a handstand, or crochet? Make that one of your personal goals, you’ll learn a new skill and likely have a new hobby, too.
- Establish healthy habits: Finding a healthy meal plan, exercise routine, and sleep schedule is a great goal. This will look different for everyone, but you want to make a habit of giving your body what it needs: nourishment, physical activity, and sleep.
- Stop a bad habit: Everyone has something they wish they stopped doing or did less. For example, one of my goals for 2021 is to reduce the amount of time I spend on social media.
- Giveback to the community: Think about ways you can giveback to your community, such as tutoring kids, joining the board of a charitable organization, or volunteering to feed the homeless.
- Prune your relationships: Who you spend your time with is up to you, so surround yourself with people who build you up and encourage you, not those who tear you down.
- Practice Self Care: Here’s more about the importance of taking time for yourself.
- Travel: Whether it’s going to another country for the first time or visiting a national park nearby your home, travel is a great personal goal to remind yourself to explore.
- Read: You can learn so much from reading, and it also keeps your mind sharp. What books have been on your shelf for a long time just gathering dust? Take them off the shelf for 2021 and start reading!
Personal Goals for A Spiritual Woman
Whether you’ve just begun your walk with Christ or are a lifelong Christian, strengthening your relationship with Jesus Christ is something you’ll work on your entire life. So for any woman, here are some personal goals to help you grow as a Christian:
- Memorize more scripture: In Scripture, we are commanded to meditate on the word of God constantly (Psalm 1:2) and one of the best ways to do that is to memorize Scripture.
- Read the Bible daily: If you’re not sure where to start, I recommend Psalms or the book of John. You can also find some great Bible reading plans including ones that help you read the entire bible in a year.
- Pray daily: In 1 Thess 5:16-18, we are reminded to pray without ceasing. The power of prayer is an incredible gift that Christians have, but when life gets busy, it’s easy for me to push prayer to the side. I’ve gotten this prayer journal to help me pray daily and track my prayers. It’s awesome to see how God answers them.
- Join a church or ministry: The congregation and worship of believers is so uplifting and inspiring. Dedicate some time this year to join a church or get involved in a ministry where you can use your spiritual gifts.
- Make Christian friends: We weren’t meant to walk the Christian life alone. Spend some time in prayer asking God to help you develop, strong godly friendships that will support you.
Good Personal Goals for Work
Since we spend most of our daytime at work, no list of personal goals for a woman would be complete without some specific goals for work.
- Learn a New Skill: Pursuing development as a young professional makes you a more valuable asset to your team.
- Take on new responsibilities: Such as leading a team, communicating directly with the client, giving presentations–anything that will further develop your skills and give you more experience.
- Get promoted: If you like the team you’re currently working on but are looking for a new challenge, speak with your manager about the requirements for moving to a more senior position.
- Move into a different role: Maybe this job or role isn’t for you? It could be time to apply for a new position at your company or a different company.
- Find a mentor: As a young professional, you won’t and shouldn’t know everything. A mentor is a great person to bounce ideas off of and offers advice and guidance to help you flourish early in your career.
- Be a mentor: This is a great way to help those whose shoes you were in not too long ago.
- Network: Make new connections with people in industries and roles you’re interested in. They’ll serve you well in the future when you may be ready for a change.
- Go back to school: Consider some graduate school programs or professional certifications that will add to your qualifications. You’ll need to research programs, decide which ones to apply to (if the timing is right), and see if your company offers tuition reimbursement options.
Other New year resolution ideas for work
Here are a couple of workplace tips and ideas you can try to convince your coworkers to set as new year resolutions for work:
- Workplace Tips
- Use phone calls instead of emails.
- Only set up meetings with clear objectives and a structured agenda.
- Take the first 10 minutes of meetings for chit-chat and relationship building.
- Schedule team building activities monthly.
- Make every other Friday a “no meeting Friday” to give teammates time to catch up on work.
- Take your vacation time but don’t take work with you. Maintaining Work Life Balance should be a personal goal for all of us!
What are some good future goals?
As a woman in her 20s, I’m looking to the future as in 2021 as well as the future in general. Here are some good goals for the future that I’m working toward slowly but surely.
- You may want to keep these goals in mind, too:
- Pay off Student Loans
- Pay off Credit Card and Consumer Debt
- Buy a Car
- Own a Home
- Save for Retirement
- Start investing
- Start your own business
Depending on your specific season of life, 2021 might be the year for you to do or start doing some of the personal goals for the future that I mentioned above.
What should I accomplish in my 20s?
To sum up, your twenties are really about change, transition, and self-discovery.
As you move from student to young adult, you’ll have lots of opportunities and challenges along the way that will allow you to grow and mature.
You’ll learn a ton about yourself and little by little you’ll have an ideal vision for your future–which honestly may change from one year to the next.
And that’s okay! Any of these personal goals are great goals for a woman in her twenties to work toward as she navigates the “adulting” struggle. Whatever you chose as your personal goals for 2021, make sure they reflect what’s important to you and the future you envision.
What are your goals for the new year and 2021?
Out of all of those I’ve listed above, my goals for the new year are:
- Learn a New Skill: I can read Spanish, but I’d like to learn to speak it, too.
- Establish Healthy Habits: Get more sleep and eat more healthy meals.
- Travel: Make it to a new continent, Asia or Australia, and see a national park.
- Join a ministry: find a way to serve at my current church.
- Memorize scripture: I’d love to do at least a verse a month.
- Be a Mentor: to a young professional just starting out in their career.
- Take on new responsibilities: lead a team on a project.
- Find My Passion: and see where God is leading me next.
“A man’s heart plans his way,Proverbs 16:9 (NKJV)
But the Lord directs his steps.”
If you’re looking for different types of planners to get your goals down and planned for the year, I recommend Bloom Girl products and ErinCondren. They both have beautiful planners suited for life, school, weddings, work, and free printables & downloads. For Bloom Girl products, use my link and code here to get 10% off! Also get $10 off your first $40+ purchase at ErinCondren with the code: RAKUTEN10.
How about you? What are your goals for 2021?
Leave me a comment below!
More posts about Adulting:
- The Truth about Adulting — because adulting is hard
- How to handle Adulthood with Flair and Faith
- 35 Thoughtful Reflection Questions and Journal Prompts
Free Goals Worksheet and Printable for 2021:
New Years Resolutions and Personal Goals for a Woman in her 20s. Download the 2021 rendition for free here!
Featured Images: Burst from Pexel, created with Canva (1). From Deposit Photos and the free photo library at Canva, created with Canva (2).
Subscribe for regular post updates and fun freebies and printables!