With February and Valentine’s Day approaching, I’ve been thinking about different ways to celebrate love as this year, I’ll be solo. In China, singles celebrate their singleness in November with Singles Day by treating themselves to lots of discounted merchandise and services. But since I’m still recovering from Christmas and holiday shopping, I thought that Singles Day is probably not the best way for me to express my singleness.
So, instead of thinking about February as a time that “outs” those of us who are single, I want to focus on God’s love this month: God’s perfect, unfailing, unconditional love. For those wanting to do the same this month (or any month), I want to share these beautiful scriptures about God’s love for us. I’ve also created a free printable for you with a list of scripture references for bible verses about God’s love.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Bible Verses about God’s Love
It can be tough to find words to describe God’s Love. Whether we are witnessing to a coworker or encouraging a friend or just need a reminder ourselves, it can be handy to have a list of Bible verses and scriptures about God’s love to share. When telling people about how “God is love” and showing them how much He loves us, I find that speaking scripture can be incredibly powerful. Give it a try with these beautiful and inspiring scriptures about God’s love.
God is Love Scriptures
One of the most important characteristics about God is that He is love. Not only does He love us and show His love to us, but He is also love. It’s part of His nature and His character.
1. “Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.” 1 John 4:8-10 (ESV)
2.“The Lord is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.”Psalm 145:8 (ESV)
3. “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.” 1 John 4:7 (NKJV)
Scriptures about God’s Perfect Love
4. “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. We love Him because He first loved us.” 1 John 4:18-19 (NKJV)
5. “Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations.” Deuteronomy 7:9 (ESV)
Scriptures about God’s Unfailing Love
In the ESV translation, the Bible describes God’s love as being “steadfast.” Other translations say that His love lasts from generations to generations. Even more, God’s love never fails, falters, or changes.
6. “Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away… And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”1 Corinthians 13:8,13 (NIV)
7. “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” Lamentations 3:22-23 (ESV)
I write and reflect on this Lamentations verse in my article in YMI Today about dealing with change. Because when everything is changing around us, as it does when you’re a new adult or young professional, we can remember that God is constant.
Bible Verses about Time and Love
Speaking of constants, when the scriptures speak about God’s love, He reminds us that God’s love endures; it is truly everlasting. When I need that reminder, I read these bible verses from Psalms about time and God’s love.
8. “For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.” Psalm 100:5 (ESV)
9. “Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever.” Psalm 136:26 (ESV)
Other Scriptures in Psalms about God’s Love
Besides the two passages from Psalms above, here are a couple more other bible verses from Psalms about God’s love. (I assure you, there are many more!)
10. “Blessed be the Lord, for he has wondrously shown his steadfast love to me when I was in a besieged city.”Psalm 31:21 (ESV)
11. “Remember your mercy, O Lord, and your steadfast love, for they have been from of old. Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for the sake of your goodness, O Lord!” Psalm 25:6-7 (ESV)
Related: See some of these verses on free Bible Verse Phone Screensavers in my Freebies Library!
Scriptures about the Power of God’s Love
12. “For I am persuaded that neither death not life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8: 38-39 (NKJV)
For a while, this was my favorite scripture about God’s love because it reminded me that the love of God was stronger than anything I would face in the present or in the future. It is stronger and more powerful than any trial, circumstances, or heartache.
How great is the Love of God?
When I think of the hym “How Great Thou Art,” which is one of my favorites, I often ponder the Love of God, which is so great! It’s not just “great” as in “awesome,” but it is awe-inspiring, breathtaking, incomprehensible in its vastness, power, and unconditional nature.
I love this scripture about God’s love from 1 John 3 because the greatness of God’s love is demonstrated in how God has made us His. We are works of his love because God’s love has made us children of God.
13. “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.” 1 John 3:1 (NIV)
What are the characteristics of God’s Love?
Probably one of the most popular bible verses about love, the scripture 1 Corinthians 13 paints a picture of God’s love and tell us God’s definition of love.
14. “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (NIV)
So God’s love is patient, kind, not envious, nor boastful, nor proud. Love is not angry, it doesn’t keep record of wrongs or seek evil; instead it honors truth. Other characteristics of God’s love are that it protects, trusts, hopes, and perseveres. To that list, I’d add some other bible verses that demonstrate the characteristics of God’s love.
What does the Bible say about God’s Love?
- God’s love is faithful.
15. “The Lord appeared to him from far away. I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.” Jeremiah 31:3 (ESV)
- God does not forget us.
16. “Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are continually before me.” Isaiah 49:15-16 (ESV)
- We need the love of God.
17. “But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.” Jude 20-21 (NKJV)
Related: God Comforts Us in the Chaos
- The love of God marks us as belonging to Him.
18. “By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:35 (NKJV)
- We show our love for God in keeping his commandments, and God’s love is made complete in us.
19. “In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome.” 1 John 5:3 (NIV)
20. “But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him.” 1 John 2:5 (NIV)
Scriptures about God’s Love and Us
Now that we understand God’s love and the characteristics of God’s love, it’s time to talk about us: mankind. What do the Scriptures say about God’s love in relation to us? How else has God shown His love to us?
Bible Verses: God’s Love for Mankind
21. “Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.” Psalm 100:3 (ESV)
22. “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.” John 15:9-10 (NKJV)
While love isn’t in this verse directly, I wanted to include it to remind us that God has blessed us. We aren’t lucky or fortunate or have earned anything. We have been blessed by Him, and in those blessings, we can see the love of God.
23. “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”James 1:17 (NIV)
God Shows His Love to Sinners
These bible verses about God’s love demonstrate the love of God for mankind and His love for sinners. Though we may have received salvation through God’s grace, we shouldn’t forget that we were once sinners–and that we still sin sometimes! When we understand God’s love for us, we will run to Him when those times come along. You might recognize this verse from Romans about God’s love.
24. “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8 (NKJV)
Related: God’s Will for Us is Sovereign
Scriptures about Showing God’s Love to Others
Now that we’ve discussed how God has shown His love to us, His Children, by buying us back from sin and death to new life in Him, we have been filled with His love. He then commands us to show the love of God to others. Before we dive into some scriptures about showing God’s love to those around us, let’s consider how God defines love.
What is God’s Definition of Love?
In scriptures, God defines love through His son Jesus Christ. Through his death and resurrection, Jesus demonstrated true, perfect love by dying for our sins in our place and giving us the gift of salvation freely. We couldn’t earn that gift, and we didn’t deserve it, still Jesus gave His life away for us. In these bible verses, God says that what Jesus has done for us is love.
25. “This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.”1 John 4:10 (NIV)
26. “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.” 1 John 3:16 (NIV)
Scriptures about Loving Others
27. “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.” Proverbs 17:17 (NIV)
28. “Let brotherly love continue. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.” Hebrews 13:1-2 (NKJV)
How do you show God’s love?
A pastor once told me that we as Christians may be the only Bible that someone will read. That was convicting for me, understanding that my words and actions may be what leads someone to discovering the love of God and God’s love for them. Outside of witnessing, God encourages us to show his love to each other, our brothers and sisters in Christ. In scriptures, He tells us how we can show the love of God to each other in these verses (and many more not in this list).
29. “‘And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’” Matthew 22:39 (NKJV)
This is that golden rule you probably heard a lot about when you were younger. Treat other people how you would like to be treated.
30. “Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” Colossians 3:13 (NIV)
31. “‘Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friend.’”John 15:13 (NKJV)
This is how Christ showed brotherly love to us!
Most popular Bible Verses about God’s Love
I’d say John 3:16 is the most popular bible verse about God’s love because it sums up the entire gospel in that one verse. I like to read it with verse 17, which is much less quoted, but it reminds us that Jesus came to save us, not condemn, due to His great love for us.
32. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.” John 3:16-17 (NKJV)
Second in line, 1 Corinthians 13 (quoted above in the section about characteristics of God’s love) is also very popular. My parents have a frame of this verse on their wall to remind our family what it means to love each other based on the love God has demonstrated toward us.
Another popular scripture about God’s love is in 1John 4. Here are verses 16-17, but the whole chapter talks about God’s love.
33. So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.” 1 John 4:16-17 (ESV)
What is a good Bible verse for love?
Besides the popular ones, John 3:16 and 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, another good Bible verse about God’s love is in 1 John 4. It talks about how God’s love is perfected in us and abides in us by loving one another. Loving others shouldn’t be a burden, but an overflowing of the lavish love that God has already given us.
34. “Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.” 1 John 4:11-12 (ESV)
The Words to Describe God’s Love + Free Printable
There are so many words to describe God’s Love: patient, kind, gentle, compassionate, everlasting, powerful, perfect, unconditional, unfailing–the list goes on and on. Some would argue that the entire Bible is about God’s love for mankind, and I agree! The Bible is about Jesus, and He is God’s love incarnant. Open your Bible, and you will experience the outpouring of God’s love in every passage!
This month when you’re celebrating Valentine’s Day, use this list of verses to remind you of the greatest love–the love of God.
Free Printable – Scriptures about God’s Love
For the times when you forget your identity, download this free printable with a list of all of the scripture references mentioned in this post.
I hope these scriptures about God’s love encourage you this year. Happy Valentine’s Day, Friends!
How do you show God’s love?
Leave me a comment below!
While You’re Here…More posts about Growing in Faith:
- Dealing with Failure by Recognizing God’s Love
- How to Remove Fear from the Mind and Heart
- Our Compassionate God & Running the Race with Perseverance
- God’s Will is Sovereign
- God Comforts Us in the Chaos
Subscribe for regular post updates and fun freebies and printables!