As a change management consultant for 3 years, I’ve helped many people cope with change. One coping mechanism I often used was to emphasize what’s not changing. So in a life full of change and uncertainty, I encourage you, with whatever you’re going through, to focus on scriptures on God’s love.
Verses about God’s unfailing love remind us that God and his love for us is never changing. Scriptures on God’s love for us also give us confidence in God’s character. So, no matter why you’re searching for scriptures about God’s love, I hope these 37 beautiful scriptures about God’s love cheer and comfort you.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
Bible Verses about God’s Unfailing Love
It can be tough to find words to describe God’s love. Whether we are witnessing to a coworker or encouraging a friend or needing a reminder ourselves for whatever we’re going through. That’s why it’s handy to have a list of Bible verses and scriptures on God’s love to share.
God’s love is so grand and so perfect that sometimes using God’s own words is the best way to describe it. Give it a try with these beautiful and inspiring scriptures about God’s love.
1 John 4:8-10
1. “Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.” 1 John 4:8-10 (ESV)
1 John 4:7
3. “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.” 1 John 4:7 (NKJV)
1 John 4:18-19
4. “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. We love Him because He first loved us.” 1 John 4:18-19 (NKJV)
Related: How to Fight and Overcome Fear
5. “Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations.” Deuteronomy 7:9 (ESV)
1 Corinthians 13:8
7. “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” Lamentations 3:22-23 (ESV)
I write and reflect on this Lamentations verse in my article in YMI Today about dealing with change. Because when everything is changing around us, as it does when you’re a new adult or young professional, we can find comfort in the truth that God is constant.
Scriptures about God’s Unfailing Love
One of the most important characteristics about God is that He is love. Not only does He love us and show His love to us, but He is also love. That is key to accepting and understanding God’s love.
Love is also part of God’s nature and His character. These scriptures about God’s love above demonstrate that. But there is much more to God’s love, including that it is perfect.
In the ESV translation, the Bible describes God’s love as being “steadfast.” Other translations say that His love lasts from generations to generations. Even more, God’s love never fails, falters, or changes.
Psalms about God’s Love: Unfailing & Enduring
Speaking of constants, Bible verses about God’s unfailing love remind us that God’s love endures. God’s love is everlasting.
When I need that reminder, I usually read these Scripture on God’s love from Psalms. They are encouraging scriptures in times of trouble.
8. “For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.” Psalm 100:5 (ESV)
9. “Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever.” Psalm 136:26 (ESV)
10. “When I thought, ‘My foot slips,’ your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up.” Psalm 94:18 (ESV)
11. “But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me.” Psalm 13:5-6 (NIV)
12. “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.” Psalm 107:1 (NIV)
14. “Blessed be the Lord, for he has wondrously shown his steadfast love to me when I was in a besieged city.” Psalm 31:21 (ESV)
15. “Remember your mercy, O Lord, and your steadfast love, for they have been from of old. Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for the sake of your goodness, O Lord!” Psalm 25:6-7 (ESV)
See some of these verses on free Bible Verse Phone Screensavers in my Freebies Library!
Describing God’s Love
This next Bible verse is one of my favorite scriptures on God’s love. It describes God’s love as being was stronger than anything I would face in the present or in the future. It is stronger and more powerful than any trial, circumstances, or heartache.
16. “For I am persuaded that neither death not life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8: 38-39 (NKJV)
1 John 3:1
I love this scripture about God’s love from 1 John 3 because the greatness of God’s love is so clearly demonstrated. It’s shown in how God has made us His.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
18. “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (NIV)
19. “The Lord appeared to him from far away. I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.” Jeremiah 31:3 (ESV)
20. “Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are continually before me.” Isaiah 49:15-16 (ESV)
21. “But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.” Jude 20-21 (NKJV)
22. “By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:35 (NKJV)
23. “In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome.” 1 John 5:3 (NIV)
1 John 2:5
24. “But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him.” 1 John 2:5 (NIV)
What does the Bible say about God’s Love?
Taking the Scriptures on God’s love we’ve explored so far, we know a lot about God’s unfailing love. The Bible says:
- God’s love is faithful. (Jeremiah 31:3)
- God does not forget us. (Isaiah 49:15-16)
- We need the love of God. (Jude 20-21)
- The love of God marks us as belonging to Him. (John 13:35)
- We show our love for God in keeping his commandments, and God’s love is made complete in us. (1 John 2:5 and 5:3)
Related: How to find Comfort in God
What are the characteristics of God’s Love?
Probably one of the most popular bible verses about love, the scripture 1 Corinthians 13 paints a picture of God’s love and tell us God’s definition of love.
God’s love is patient, kind, not envious, nor boastful, nor proud. Love is not angry, it doesn’t keep record of wrongs or seek evil; instead it honors truth.
Other characteristics of God’s love are that it protects, trusts, hopes, and perseveres.
How great is the Love of God?
Whenever a church choir sings the hymn “How Great Thou Art,” the song make me ponder god’s love. It’s not just “great” as in “awesome,” but it is awe-inspiring, breathtaking, incomprehensible in its vastness, power, and unconditional nature.
His love is so great that it’s hard to find words to describe God’s love! But scriptures on God’s love do a much better job than I do.
Scriptures on God’s Love for Us
Now that we understand God’s love and the characteristics of God’s love, it’s time to talk about us: mankind. What do the Bible say about God’s love for us and for each other? How else has God shown His love to us?
25. “Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.” Psalm 100:3 (ESV)
26. “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.” John 15:9-10 (NKJV)
While love isn’t in this verse directly, I wanted to include it to remind us that God has blessed us. We aren’t lucky or fortunate or have earned anything. We have been blessed by Him, and in those blessings, we can see the love of God.
28. “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8 (NKJV)
1 John 4:10
1 John 3:16
30. “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.” 1 John 3:16 (NIV)
What is God’s Definition of Love?
In scriptures, God’s love is defined through His son Jesus Christ. Through his death and resurrection, Jesus demonstrated true, perfect love by dying for our sins in our place and giving us the gift of salvation freely.
We couldn’t earn that gift, and we didn’t deserve it, still Jesus gave His life away for us. In these bible verses that show God’s love for us, God says that what Jesus has done for us is love.
Scriptures about Showing God’s Love to Others
God has shown His love to us by paying the penalty for our sins so we could live with him forever. If we accept his gift of eternal life, we have been filled with His love. He then commands us to show the love of God to others.
These scriptures on God’s love tell us how to love others through friendship, hospitality, forgiveness, and more. Inspired by these scriptures, we can find practical ways to show God’s love to others.
I heard a pastor once say that as Christians, we may be the only Bible that someone will read. That was convicting for me. My words and actions may be what leads someone to discovering the love of God and God’s love for them.
Do I demonstrate the character of a godly woman when I interact with others?
31. “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.” Proverbs 17:17 (NIV)
32. “Let brotherly love continue. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.” Hebrews 13:1-2 (NKJV)
33. “‘And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’” Matthew 22:39 (NKJV)
34. “Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” Colossians 3:13 (NIV)
Most popular Bible Verses about God’s Love
I’d say John 3:16 is the most popular bible verse about God’s love because it sums up the entire gospel in that one verse. I like to read it with verse 17, which is much less quoted, but it reminds us that Jesus came to save us, not condemn, due to His great love for us.
Second in line, 1 Corinthians 13 (quoted above in the section about characteristics of God’s love) is also very popular. My parents have a frame of this verse on their wall to remind our family what it means to love each other based on the love God has demonstrated toward us.
Another one of the popular scriptures on God’s love is in 1 John 4. Verses 16-17 stand out the most to me, but the whole chapter talks about God’s love.
1 John 4:16-17
36. So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.” 1 John 4:16-17 (ESV)
1 John 4:11-12
37. “Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.” 1 John 4:11-12 (ESV)
What is a good Bible verse for love?
1 John 4:11-12 talks about how God’s love is perfected in us and abides in us by loving one another. Loving others shouldn’t be a burden, but an overflowing of the lavish love that God has already given us.
Words to Describe God’s Love
There are so many words to describe God’s Love: patient, kind, gentle, compassionate, everlasting, powerful, perfect, unconditional, unfailing–the list goes on and on. Some would argue that the entire Bible is about God’s love for mankind, and I agree!
Free Printable – Scriptures about God’s Love
For the times when you need a reminder of God’s love, download this free printable with a list of all of the scripture references mentioned in this post.
I hope these scriptures about God’s love encourage you today and everyday. You are a loved child of God, and your identity is secure in Him and His love for you.
What are your favorite scriptures about God’s love?
Leave me a comment below!
Don’t miss this! More posts in the Growing in Faith Category:
- 5 Keys to Accepting God’s Love for You
- 10 Practical Ways to Show God’s Love to Others
- 50 Encouraging Bible Verses for Times of Trouble
- 15 Best Devotionals for Young Professionals Needing a Recharge
Join our Email List!
Hey there! You don’t have to navigate the adulting struggle on your own. Here at Kara J Lovett Co., we want to support you while you’re figuring things out and getting it together.
That’s why we’ve made the “Getting It Together Guide”: 25 pages of support, encouragement, practical tips, prayers, devotionals, and resources for the adulting struggle.
Subscribe to our site for access to the guide, regular post updates, fun freebies, and printables! Or find out more about our premium Getting it Together Guide here.