As an aspiring career woman who loves words, I naturally also love quotes. Though I write the more long-winded forms of writing, I am also amazed at what impact people can have with just a few phrases. At how inspired I feel after just reading a quote that alters my perspective a bit.
In my work life, it’s important to have some go-to career woman quotes about jobs and life for whenever the job gets tough. And trust me, it does get tough. These quotes by women of business, art, science, politics, and more will inspire you when you feel like giving up. I’m excited to share these 25 powerful quotes to encourage you wherever you are in your career.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
What makes a successful business woman?
Before we jump to the quotes, I have to interject here because, as young women professionals, this question is on a lot of our minds. However, instead of answering it, I suggest we change the question by adding one word.
What makes you a successful business woman?
I added the word you because this question is too individual to give a one-size-fits all answer. If you’ve read my other posts about navigating the adulting struggle or career advice for young professionals, you know that I am against one-size-fits-all approaches. They end up restricting us by trying to fit everyone and our diverse experiences into one slim definition. Also, it triggers the comparison game where we start measuring our own successes to the success of others.
We all are on this adulting and career journey together, but all of our journeys look different. Likewise, all of our success will look different.
The only one-size-fits-all advice I can give is this: do what will make you a successful business woman, based on your skills, talents, passions, and goals. If that means waking up at 6 am to start your day with a cup of coffee in a quiet apartment—go for it. If that means sleeping in until your first meeting starts and then working through your lunch—then do that.
Perhaps success for you is being the manager of a team in the marketing department one day,. Great, strive for that. But if you’re gunning for a consulting job at one of the big accounting firms, then that can be your goal. Maybe owning your own dance studio or art gallery is more up your alley, chase that dream then.
25 Career Woman Quotes
With that in mind, I encourage you to take this list of career woman quotes with a grain of salt. I chose these quotes because the words and the ideas were inspiring to me as a professional woman. I did not choose a quote because I support the person who said it, or their company, or their definition of success.
Each of these quotes came from someone who charted their own unique career path. Some of them will impact you more significantly than others depending on who you are and where you are in your career. Let yourself be inspired by these powerful quotes, not dictated by them.
At the end of the day, you’re the one in the driver’s seat, and the only one who can move your career forward is you.
Successful Career Woman Quotes
1. “Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve.” – Mary Kay Ash
2. “There is nothing like a concrete life plan to weigh you down. Because if you always have one eye on some future goal, you stop paying attention to the job at hand, miss opportunities that might arise, and stay fixedly on one path, even when a better, newer course might have opened up.” – Indra K. Nooyi
4. “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
5. “In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” – Coco Chanel
Strong Woman Quotes
6. “You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through.” – Rosalynn Carter
7. ”Never limit yourself because of others’ limited imagination; never limit others because of your own limited imagination.” – Mae Jeminson
8. “I’ve been absolutely terrified every moment of my life and I’ve never let it keep me from doing a single thing that I wanted to do.”– Georgia O’Keeffe
9. “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.” – Harriet Tubman
Independent Hard Working Woman Quotes
11. “So often people are working hard at the wrong thing. Working on the right thing is probably more important than working hard.” – Caterina Fake
12. “You can have unbelievable intelligence, you can have connections, you can have opportunities fall out of the sky. But in the end, hard work is the true, enduring characteristic of successful people.” – Marsha Evans
13. “I never dreamed about success. I worked for it.“– Estee Lauder
14. “The [wo]man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” – Chinese Proverb
Professional Woman Quotes
14. “Do the best you can in every task, no matter how unimportant it may seem at the time. No one learns more about a problem than the person at the bottom.” – Sandra Day O’Connor
15. “Your career is like a garden. It can hold an assortment of life’s energy that yields a bounty for you. You do not need to grow just one thing in your garden. You do not need to do just one thing in your career.”– Jennifer Ritchie Payette
16. “When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” – Helen Keller
17. “Instinct won’t carry you through the entire journey. It’s what you do in the moments between inspiration.” – Cate Blanchett
More Successful Business Woman Quotes
18. “Find the smartest people you can and surround yourself with them.” – Marissa Meyer
Some of the people you should surround yourself with are mentors! Mentorship will help grow in your career, business knowledge, and skillset.
19. “Embrace what you don’t know, especially in the beginning, because what you don’t know can become your greatest asset. It ensures that you will absolutely be doing things different from everybody else.” – Sara Blakely
20. “I learned to always take on things I’d never done before. Growth and comfort do not coexist.”– Virginia Rometty
As Virginia Rometty says much more eloquently than me, challenging yourself is important to growth and developing new skills and competencies. Don’t be afraid of a challenge and seek them out for new opportunities.
21. “Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway.” – Mary Kay Ash
22. “Life is too complicated not to be orderly.” – Martha Stewart
Career Quotes about Jobs and Life
23. “A career is wonderful, but you can’t curl up with it on a cold night.” – Marilyn Monroe
25. “I’ve learned that making a ‘living’ is not the same thing as ‘making a life.’” – Maya Angelou
Also, Job Success Quotes from Men
While these aren’t quotes by women, I find that they also apply to being a career woman. Here are 11 more job success quotes by businessmen, philosophers, and artists.
- “It’s not the days in your life, but the life in your days that counts.” —Brian White
- “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” —Confucius
- “A mind troubled by doubt cannot focus on the course to victory.” —Arthur Golden
- “Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”– Dr. Seuss
- “Hide not your talents, they for use were made; what’s a sundial in the shade?” – Benjamin Franklin
- “Failure doesn’t mean you are a failure. It just means you haven’t succeeded yet.” – Robert H. Schuller
- “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” – Albert Einstein
- “Success is 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration.” – Thomas Edison
- “Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.” – Vincent van Gogh
- “Nobody’s a natural. You work hard to get good and then work to get better.” – Paul Coffey
Find Inspiration from Career Woman Quotes
I hope these career woman quotes inspired you today. While I read through them, I was inspired not to let fear dictate my decisions and to not let failure define my career. I also appreciated the themes of hard work, patience, and perseverance in the list of quotes.
Too often, young professionals (myself included) want everything now—the corner office and the dream job. I had to learn in my first year in corporate America that things are rarely so simple. These quotes were certainly a good reminder that time and hard work are “magic” ingredients we all have access to.
Career Woman Quotes Pinterest
If you’re looking for more professional woman quotes, join me on Pinterest. I have a board dedicated to Career Women and a board for Working Motivation Quotes like the ones I shared here. Outside of working related quotes, I have a board dedicated to any Inspiring Words & Quotes and Christian Quotes and Sayings. Kara J Lovett Co. is your place for encouragement and inspiration.
We have a lot of sources influencing us daily and a lot of people wanting to give us advice. That makes it extra challenging to figure out the next step in our careers. In those moments, I take a deep breath, read a few career woman quotes, and remind myself that the only definition of success that matters is mine. After all, it is my career, isn’t it? 😉
What are some powerful quotes you use as motivation?
Leave me a comment below!
Don’t miss this! More posts about Working and the Young Professional Lifestyle:
- Valuable Career Advice for Young Professionals – Peer Approved
- The Best Career Advice I Ever Got
- Strategies for Dealing with Tough Work Situations (Don’t Give Up!)
- Why Being Challenged at Work is Important
Check out my freebies library with the best of my free printables and fun, inspiring phone screensavers to encourage you. These do not require any sign up. If you want to get more regular updates, subscribe below. Either way, thanks for visiting!
Subscribe for regular post updates and fun freebies and printables!