Scripture is a gift from God, which He gave us so we can know Him and how we relate to Him. The Word of God encourages us, inspires us, and equips us with the truth we need to face each day. For those reasons, I love encouraging my fellow sisters in Christ with my favorite verses.
So, I hope today that these Bible verses about a woman of good character remind you to stay focused on Christ and help you remember the identity you have in Him. Let’s live our lives as God-fearing women who have our hearts turned toward the Lord. That way, we can reflect the light of Christ in our lives and to those around us.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure for more information.
What does God say about Women?
Every time I hear someone say the Bible paints women in a negative light or that God doesn’t respect women, my heart mourns because reading the Bible has shown me the exact opposite. When reading and interpreting the Bible, it’s important to maintain the cultural and historical context of the text. Doing the Every Word 90-day study of the Bible has helped me keep this in mind as I read scripture, but there are many other commentaries that offer this information as well.
So considering the cultural and historical context, the laws that God establishes in the Old Testament show an incredible respect for young women, old women, mothers, daughters, sisters, and widows alike. If you compare God’s laws to the laws and statues of the other nations around the Israelites at the time, you see that God upholds a covenant that honors and protects women and punishes any injustices done to them.
What else does the Bible say about women?
When I think of the stories of Sarah, Hagar, Rahab, Ruth, Hannah, Bathsheba, Esther, and so many other women in the Bible, the common thread is that God heard them and cared for them. Although some of these women were foreigners to the Jewish people, God welcomed them into his family. When some of these women doubted God’s strength and power, He was forgiving and faithful to His promises.
If we flip to the New Testament, the same honor and respect for women is upheld in Jesus’s teaching and that of the apostles. My favorite depiction of this is when Paul compares Jesus and the church to a husband and wife in marriage. Paul speaks about the joy Jesus has in presenting the church blameless and righteous before God. This is only possible because Jesus has covered us in his righteousness (Ephesians 5:25-33).
As women, we are most definitely part of God’s church. He wants salvation for us, to bring us into his holy family and to transform us into godly woman with a heart for the Lord.
What does it mean to be a godly woman?
Finding a definition for a godly woman or a woman of good character is hard because it encompasses so much. Being a “godly woman” is a combination of character traits and something that should saturate all areas of our lives.
That being said, I believe Charles F. Stanley in his book, Handbook for Christian Living, sums up godliness well.
Charles F. Stanley from Handbook for Christian Living
Godliness: When a person is devout, with his or her heart bent toward God.
The condition of a person’s heart is crucial to living a godly life. An example of that godliness being played out is the life of King David. Though David was far from perfect, God described him as a man “after God’s own heart.“
Throughout 1 and 2 Samuel, David never turns away from the Lord, even when he faces the consequences for his sin. He also never divides his heart or turns to serve other foreign gods. When I read the stories of other people in Bible who had great successes and great failures, I realized what set David apart was the condition of his heart.
Bible Verses about A Woman of Good Character: Hannah’s Story
We see godliness in the story of David, but also in the lives of some of the women that I mentioned before. For example in Hannah’s amazing story of prayer, we see her devotion to the Lord in her worship and prayer. She prayed so hard that the priest thought she was drunk and talking to herself!
Though discouraged and brokenhearted, she held onto faith and believed God had the power to give her a son. When God granted her prayer, she dedicated her son to the Lord, as she had promised.
1. “But Hannah answered, “No, my lord, I am a woman troubled in spirit. I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I have been pouring out my soul before the Lord.Do not regard your servant as a worthless woman, for all along I have been speaking out of my great anxiety and vexation.” 1 Samuel 1: 15-16 (ESV)
These Bible verses about a woman of good character tell us that God cares about the condition of our hearts. The examples of David and Hannah demonstrate what it means to have a heart turned to the Lord and the godliness that results.
What are the qualities of a godly woman?
When we have a heart solely focused on God, we embody the qualities of a godly woman. At its root, being godly is emulating and imitating God. When we imitate God in our actions, decisions, behaviors, and livelihoods, then we naturally use our lives to glorify God.
So to understand how to be a godly woman, we must understand who God is. God is:
- and so much more.
In Jesus Christ, we see an incarnation of the traits of God since He is both man and God. The way Jesus lived his life shows us what it means to be godly in the world. How to love your neighbor, love your enemy, and love your brother and sisters in Christ.
Jesus is kind and compassionate to the needy and sick. He is gracious and merciful, dying for us though He was without sin. He is loving and patient with us though we stray.
Lastly, He is faithful, keeping His word and promises, even when we sin or disobey.
The qualities of a godly woman are the same: kind, compassionate, faithful, generous, loving, gracious, merciful, patient. By emulating our creator and savior, we live godly lives that point others back to Christ.
What does Proverbs say about Women?
The qualities of a godly woman are also spelled out in scripture in more action-oriented ways in Proverbs 31, one of the most famous scriptures about godly women. This passage is full of Bible verses about a woman of good character and the qualities of a godly woman.
In the 21 latter verses of this proverb, the woman of good character is very active, doing her work with purpose and conviction and taking care of her family with wisdom and godly instruction.
2. “Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come.”Proverbs 31:25
From these bible verses, we also learn that a woman of good character is influential, able to encourage and steer others in the way that they should go with the word of God (Proverbs 31:26).
What is a God fearing woman?
In Proverbs 31, the author King Lemuel writes that above all, a woman of good character is a God fearing woman (Proverbs 31:30).
A God fearing woman is a woman who understand God’s holiness and righteousness.
She knows who God is and more importantly, that she falls short of the perfect standard. Tainted by sin and neither holy nor righteous, she knows that she needs Jesus in order to dwell and abide with God.
She attributes reverence and honor to God and knows in her heart that only because of God’s grace and love can she enter the family of God. Her fear of the Lord manifests as reverence and respect for God. Because of that, she lives a life of gratitude and wants to use her life to give God the glory He deserves.
Bible Verses about a God Fearing Woman of Good Character
The importance of the “fear of the Lord” is repeated throughout scripture. In the first chapter of Proverbs, Solomon writes that the beginning of wisdom is fear of the Lord. He continues to drive that point home in Proverbs and the other books that he wrote. It’s no surprise that Solomon’s father, David, also spoke often of “fear of the Lord” in Psalms.
Here are few Bible verses that capture the essence of God fearing men and women.
3. “Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.” Proverbs 31:30
4. “The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him, and he makes known to them his covenant.” Psalm 25:14
5. “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.” Proverbs 1:7
6. “Let not your heart envy sinners, but continue in the fear of the Lord all the day.” Proverbs 23:17
Bible Verses about a Woman of Good Character
Given everything that God says concerning women, the power of a woman in the Bible is clear. We are treasured, valuable pieces of the body of Christ. God invites us into his family through Jesus Christ. He wants to transform us, our lives, and our hearts so that we reflect Him.
As we strive to become more like Christ and live for Him, the transformation starts at the heart.
Bible Verses about the Heart of a Woman
When Jesus is at the center of our heart, it affects our character, changes our values, and shifts our behaviors. No wonder so many Bible verses about a woman of good character concern the heart.
Here are a few bible verses to ponder about the heart:
- Jesus affirms that what is in our hearts matters as he speaks the Beatitudes in Matthew:
7. “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.” Matthew 5:8
- In Deuteronomy, God warns the people not to turn their hearts away from the Lord:
8. “Beware lest there be among you a man or woman or clan or tribe whose heart is turning away today from the Lord our God to go and serve the gods of those nations.” Deuteronomy 29:18a
- In Proverbs, King Solomon writes about the effect our hearts have on our bodies and spirit:
9. “A glad heart makes a cheerful face, but by sorrow of heart the spirit is crushed. The heart of him who has understanding seeks knowledge, but the mouths of fools feed on folly.” Proverbs 15:13-14
10. “A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.” Proverbs 17:22
- Lydia is a prime example of a woman whose heart was open to the Lord:
11. “One who heard us was a woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple goods, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul.” Acts 13:14
- Paul encourages us to not lose heart despite what we may face in life. Notice that Paul says we can endure tough circumstances by focusing on Jesus and the things unseen:
12. “So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison,as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.” 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
- We have the assurance that we are children of God forever because we have the Holy Spirit in our hearts:
13. ”And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.” 2 Corinthians 1:21-22
Bible Verses about being a Woman of God
Now that we’ve looked at Bible verses about a woman of good character and her heart, how should that affect our lives?
Our heart, filled with the gospel of Jesus, allows us to be women of God. These Bible verses about being a woman of God show us what that looks like in daily life.
- It means acting with love and hating what is evil:
14. “Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.” Romans 12:9-12
- It means believing that what God says will come to pass, just as Mary did when the angel told her she would conceive Jesus:
15. “And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord.”Luke 1:45
- It means being courteous towards others and slow to anger:
16. “Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger;for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.” James 1:19-20
- It means trusting in the Lord, even when fear has crept into our hearts:
17. “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?” Psalm 56:3-4
- By no means, does it mean perfection. Woman of God are human, too. But if we confess our sins, we know God is faithful to forgive:
18. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9
Bible Verses about Humble Women
No list of Bible verses about a woman of good character would be complete without a mention of humility. Throughout the Bible, God speaks about the importance of humility. In His actions, He raises the humble and brings low the haughty.
These Bible verses about humble women and men remind us to strive for humility.
19. “’God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.’” (James 4:6b)
20. “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.” Luke 1:46-48
21. “For the Lord takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble with salvation.”Psalm 149:4
22. “All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be, declares the Lord. But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.” Isaiah 66:2
Bible Verses about Wise Women
Wisdom is another character trait of a woman of God. More than just knowledge, wisdom is understanding how to apply knowledge. In daily life, that means discerning right from wrong and wisdom from folly according to God’s law and heavenly wisdom.
Here are some Bible verses about wise women and men, and how God blesses those who choose His wisdom over the world’s folly.
23. “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.” Ephesians 5:15-16
24. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.” Proverbs 3:5-7
25. “The Lord looks down from heaven on the children of man, to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God.” Psalm 14:2
Bible Verses about Beauty and Self-Worth
Beauty and self-worth are biblical topics particularly important to women, but certainly relevant to men as well. But before addressing Bible verses about beauty and self-worth, I first want to focus on self-worth.
By the gospel, we know that we were bought at the highest price—the life of Jesus Christ—so that he could reconcile us to God and invite us into the family of God.
26. “For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:44
27. “For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.” 1 Timothy 2:5-6
That being said, the Bible verses below about self-worth talk about how we are treasured woman of God. Not only do we belong to Him, but we are also loved and cared for by Him. Our identity and self-worth is in our identity as children of God.
28. “When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?” Psalm 8:3-4
29. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.” John 3:16-17
30. “But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us,even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.” Ephesians 2:4-6
Related: 5 Keys to Accepting God’s Love
Bible Verses about the Beauty of a Woman
Lastly, we come to Bible verses about the beauty of a woman. For me, I must always approach this after affirming my identity as a chosen, loved child of God through Christ Jesus (see bible verses about self-worth above).
However, God is also my creator, and He speaks to the beauty of a woman and in how He created us.
31. “Then God said, ‘Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...’ So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” Genesis 1:26a, 27
32. “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.” Psalm 139:13-15
33. “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”Ephesians 2:10
What else does God say about my beauty?
Our physical beauty comes from God. We were made in his likeness and created by Him. Psalm 139 says that we are all “wonderfully made.”
But beside our physical beauty, we know that God values the “beauty of our heart” even more. This is why some Bible verses about a woman of good character focus on the beauty in our hearts.
34. “Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear—but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.” 1 Peter 3:3-4
35. “Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.”Proverbs 31:30
Above all, God wants the attention of our hearts. It is the beauty of our hearts that is everlasting, and our hearts turned toward God make all the difference in our lives.
Power of a Woman’s Heart in the Bible
When we turn toward God, we thrive in His love and strength, but when we turn away, we feel lost and unworthy. Time and time again, the power of a woman in the Bible comes from the condition of her heart.
In these Bible verses about women of good character, we see a transformation of the heart through faith and fear of the Lord.
- For example, the midwives in Egypt refused to kill the male children of the Jews:
36. “But the midwives feared God and did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them, but let the male children live.” Exodus 1:17
- Rahab is one of two women in the “Hall of Faith” in Hebrews 11:
37. “By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish with those who were disobedient, because she had given a friendly welcome to the spies.” Hebrews 11:31
- Ruth is welcomed into the family of God, though she’s not Jewish by blood, because of her dedication to Naomi, her mother-in-law:
38. “’The Lord repay you for what you have done, and a full reward be given you by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge!’” Ruth 2:12
The power of a woman of good character in the Bible is her heart, focused toward God.
Continue to grow into a godly woman with books from DaySpring, written especially for women of faith:
My Favorite Bible Verses for Young Women and General Encouragement
As a final encouragement, here are the Bible verses that mean the most to me as a young woman. I hang on to these words whenever I’m in need of encouragement or just want to thank God for loving me and choosing me to be a part of His holy family.
39. “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.” 1 Corinthians 15:10
40. “A gracious woman gets honor, and violent men get riches.” Proverbs 11:16
41. “But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair;persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed.” 2 Corinthians 4:7-9
42. “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9
Bible Verses Every Young Woman Should Know
Of these 42 bible verses about a woman of good character, if I had to pick favorites, here are the Bible verses that I think every young woman should know (in no particular order).
- Proverbs 31:25 – strength and dignity
- Hebrews 11:31 – live by faith
- Proverbs 31:30 – fear of the Lord
- Psalm 139:13-15 – wonderfully made
- Psalm 8:3-4– God cares for us
- Ephesians 2:4-6 – by the grace of God
- Luke 1:46-48 –praising the Lord with a humble spirit
- Acts 13:14 – Lord, please open our hearts
Use this list of Bible verses to uplift and encourage you or make a list of your own! No matter what, turn your heart toward the Lord in whatever battle you are facing. May these Bible verses about a woman of good character inspire you to keep going, keep fighting, and keep relying on Jesus.
And you? What Bible verse has meant the most to you and why?
Leave me a comment below!
Check out More Posts about Growing in Faith:
- How to Make a Gratitude Journal
- Lessons & Stories to Unlock the Power of Prayer
- 5 Keys to Accepting God’s Love
- 5 Strategies for How to Remove Fear from Mind and Heart
- 30+ Beautiful and Inspiring Verses about God’s Love
Check out my freebies library with the best of my free printables and fun, inspiring phone screensavers to encourage you. These do not require any sign up. If you want to get more regular updates, subscribe below. Either way, thanks for visiting!
Join our Email List!
Hey there! You don’t have to navigate the adulting struggle on your own. Here at Kara J Lovett Co., we want to support you while you’re figuring things out and getting it together.
That’s why we’ve made the “Getting It Together Guide”: 25 pages of support, encouragement, practical tips, prayers, devotionals, and resources for the adulting struggle.
Subscribe to our site for access to the guide, regular post updates, fun freebies, and printables! Or find out more about our premium Getting it Together Guide here.